Adventures to the Asian Grocers: Chive Pockets

I've been cooking up a lot of food lately and these can easily be revealed now rather than the 'New Year' presents that have yet to be delivered. I hear Chinese New Year will be in February, maybe I will wait for that as my deadline since I'm supposed to hand out presents then right? eh? eh? =)

Because I'm had some time (staycation) I have been grocery shopping and being adventurous at the Asian groceries. I have created a couple of dishes that continues my style of east meets west (seriously because Asian grocers are typically cheaper than the American grocers with the fruits and veggies).





Here is a dish that is I think a typical Taiwanese pastry that I call "Chive Pocket." It's usually a large baked dough filled with chives, vermicelli and sometimes egg. For my version, I cheated with the dough, and added ground chicken to the mix. I imagine this can easily be mod with spinach or other veggies and be like strombolis.


Makings for about 20:
2 bunches of chives, chopped
4 eggs, scrambled
A pound of ground chicken
One box/bag of vermicelli cooked al dente per instructions on the box
4 or 5 packs of pre-made Paratha Roti dough (however many would make 20, they usually come in packs of 4 or 5)


I first leave the roti dough out to defrost while I'm cooking up the innards mix. I want the dough to be soft enough to work with, but not too soft that they stick to the wax paper sheets they come with.


In a big pan, I break up the ground chicken and add about 2 table spoons of soy sauce for flavour. Once the meat is cooked all the way through, add the chopped chives, scrambled eggs and vermicelli and cook until everything is cooked all the way through.


When the dough becomes pliable, I added about 2-3 table spoons of mix into each dough and then pinched the edges to seal upon itself. In a separate and flatter pan, that's where I pan friend the dough until light brown on both sides.


With the bagillion Chive Pockets I made, I froze them so later they can be popped into the microwave or a toaster oven later for snack or lunch. Much simpler than baking or frying these puppies and perfect with a bowl of soup!





No comments:

Post a Comment

A blogger goes squeeeee when you RT a post, does cartwheels when you @ her with a tweet, but for the best all around effect, post a comment!